A couple of years ago, I created a Twitter bot that tweets out WordPress core trac tickets marked as GoodFirstBugs to help new contributors find a good starting place. It got a fantastic response from the community and even got an article on WP Tavern! It had been offline for a while due to some […]
Now that the PluginDocumentSettingPanel is in WordPress core, we can add our own panels to the Document Settings panel using the registerPlugin function. The above code will insert a new Panel in the Document Sidebar with the title of “My Custom Panel ” and will display “Hello, World!” as it’s content. If we want this […]
I think the hardest thing about getting into contributing to WordPress Core is knowing where to start. Once you have your development environment setup ready to go – then what? You need something to work on, you need a ticket.
A little while ago, I created a plugin called Suspend Transients. It is a helpful tool that allows developers to bypass get_transient() calls on any page by clicking a button on the admin bar. I felt that the name was not accurate so I have renamed it and it is now available for download on […]
WordPress 4.7 was just released and it marks the sixth release in a row that I have been lucky enough to contribute to. Contributing to WordPress core has always been a personal goal for me and while I had made attempts in the past, it wasn’t until I joined 10up that I was finally able to […]
Recently while working on a project in WordPress, I found myself adding and remove code to bypass cached transients. Needless to say, this was not a great solution. It caused needless code churn and sometimes it MAY have gotten committed to master. As a result, I wrote a new WordPress plugin that will allow me […]
A while ago I was working on a patch to refresh the code for the default widgets that are included with WordPress Core. One of the changes made was to replace the i18n methods currently in-place with their counterparts that escape and translate the output. This is a pretty common practice as translation files can be a potential […]
Recently I was running into issues with VVV running some units tests for AJAX. I was not able to remedy the issue so I decided to create a testing environment from the SVN repo directly. I went to the page on the codex and while the information there was great, part of the instructions are to […]